San Diego-based research firm BrightScope today released a top 20 list Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS) funds in the 401(k) and defined contribution industry.
TIPS funds represent roughly $15 billion of the $3.2 trillion in 401(k), 403(b), and 457 assets tracked, according to BrightScope.
BrightScope's technology uncovers audited financial data on investment funds held within real 401k plans. It's rating system was developed in partnership with independent 401k fiduciaries, reviews more than 200 unique data inputs per plan and calculates a single numerical score which defines plan quality at the company level.
Last April, BrightScope launched its BrightScope Advisor Pages, a publicly available directory of financial advisors designed to help consumers discover information and conduct due diligence on wealth management professionals.
"This makes having access to detailed information and analytics about TIPS funds invaluable for asset managers looking for a competitive advantage," said Ryan Alfred, president and co-founder of BrightScope.
Alfred says more detailed information is available in a free white paper from BrightScope entitled, "TIPS Funds Continue Strong DC Asset Growth," that can be downloaded at www.brightscope.com/research.
The top 20 TIPS funds by total distribution are:
1. PIMCO Real Return
2. Vanguard Inflation-Protected Securities
3. TIAA-CREF Inflation-Linked Bond
4. BlackRock U.S. TIPS
5. SSgA U.S. Inflation-Protected Bond Index
6. Fidelity Inflation-Protected Bond
7. American Century Inflation-Adjusted Bond
8. Barclays Treasury Inflation Protected Securities Index Trust
9. Northern Trust Daily TIPS
10. Western Asset Inflation Indexed Plus Bond
11. American Beacon Treasury Inflation Protected Securities
12. BlackRock Inflation Protected Bond
13. FFTW Inflation-Indexed Bond
14. Fidelity Trust Treasury Bond Index
15. Transamerica Partners Inflation-Protected Securities
16. Wellington Management TIPS Plus
17. MassMutual Premier Inflation-Protected Bond
18. DFA Inflation-Protected Securities
19. American Century Inflation Protection Bond
20. Fidelity Advisor Inflation-Protected Bond