KLS Professional Advisors Group, headquartered in New York, has merged with Boston Private Wealth,. 

The merger creates one of the largest advisory firms in the country in terms of AUM, encompassing $14.6 billion in client assets.

Founded in 1989, KLS is a wealth management firm specializing in law firms, attorneys and other high-net-worth clients, according to a press release.

KLS has been an affiliate of Boston Private since 2004, when parent company Boston Private Financial Holdings purchased an 81% stake in the firm. Boston Private Financial Holdings acquired the remaining 19% stake in KLS in 2010.

At the end of the second quarter, KLS reported managing $7.2 billion in AUM.

The move to integrate KLS and Boston Private Wealth is part of a strategic growth plan that leverages the strengths of each organization to create a more powerful, efficient and effective financial services firm, Boston Private said.

“KLS’s expertise, coupled with Boston Private’s resources, creates a more complete offering for our clients, and provides a platform for growth in New York, one of the most important wealth markets in the world,” said Anthony DeChellis, Boston Private CEO.

Gary Sica, senior managing director of KLS, will continue to lead the New York-based team in partnership with Bill Woodson, Boston Private’s head of Wealth Advisory and Family Office Services. The New York-based team will operate under the name “KLS, A Division of Boston Private.”

Boston Private serves clients in 29 offices nationwide.